Recipes

Please bring a plate…A Great Recipe!

07:10

Hi All, today I have the pleasure of introducing you to my guest blogger Ruth! 
I know you will love her
Groovy and Helpful Post!
Anita  from www.godzgear.com.au


Please bring a plate…

A quick idea for when you need a simple something to share.


Prep Time: About 20 mins                                                                        
Difficulty Level: Easy                                                                            

Ingredients:
Frozen Cake  
Chocolate
White 500g/Dark 500g 


....WARNING, Chocolate Consumption Ahead! =D

This idea like many things, was born of necessity.

Tomorrow I have a bible study and I need to take a plate to share, trying to keep with my budget plans this week of cooking out of my freezer ( so I can save for some cool things I would like : a belt sander or router!!!)I remembered I had some fruit cake in 
the freezer that Nanna gave me…
       ……. I remember when Nanna told me -amid peals of laughter how, when she first came to Australia in the 60’s  her husband’s boss asked them both over for a BBQ, 
and said to bring a plate…Nanna could barely contain her giggles as she retold how she was asking her husband“why on earth did they want them to bring a plate? 
Surely they had enough plates for everyone…

Firstly the cake must be frozen as it will cut easier without crumbling, 
and the chocolate will set quicker; once on the cake.

1.  Slice frozen cake into about 1.5 to 2 cm thick fingers, 
don’t worry about cutting perfect sections.



NOTE:

If you have a chocolate cake,slice it thinner (1cm) and sandwich together with strawberry
jam and cream before proceeding to step 2

Vanilla sponge with crushed blueberries and lemon curd

Carrot cake sandwiched with lemon cream cheese icing

Gingerbread with vanilla ice-cream

2. Place onto baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and refreeze while you melt the chocolate


3.  Melt chocolate. Place chocolate in a metal bowl that sits nicely on top of a saucepan with about 3 cm water in bottom (of the saucepan).  Bring water to boil, turn down to simmer, stirring chocolate regularly. Be careful not to let any steam or water into the chocolate.

4 . Dip in chocolate. I found it easier to dip the end in so it was covered, 
then using a cake spatula to wipe chocolate onto the other four sides.
You could quite happily use a knife or a small spatula
I only covered to half way with the milk chocolate as I am going to coat the other half with white chocolate to make them look a little bit fancier





5. Place back onto baking tray and refreeze as you melt the white chocolate!

6 .I have warm hands. As I was holding the milk chocolate end to dip these tasty treats into the white chocolate, I found I was melting lovely little fingerprints into the ends.
Fine if I was eating it myself, but a bit strange when serving to guests. So to fix this, either have a container of ice water to hold your hand in to cool it down so you can handle the chocolate, or use tongs. I found if I dipped the end in the white chocolate, I could then lay each piece back onto the tray and cover the side facing upward with white chocolate. I popped the tray back in the freezer for a few minutes. Once the chocolate had set I then turned all the pieces of cake over and covered the top side, this worked well, as I wasn't holding the chocolate end.

A “good” pastry chef has cold hands, as they don’t melt the butter/oil in the pastries they are working on; they have more time to work with it between fridge time.

I have kept these treats in the freezer until I need them; 
they are great straight from the freezer. I would happily store for 6 months.

There you have it, a great recipe that's easy to put together in a hurry for 
those bring a plate occasions!



Written by Ruth Jurgens, a qualified chef, keen woodworker and born again Christian, who loves Christ and is in humble awe and delight that He loved her enough to die in her place. She seeks to please Him in gratitude for what He has done for her. And in seeking to please Him gains righteousness. What a God we serve!!!! “Who can go a day without eating and not feel miserable, short of energy and prone to every bug that passes? Why do we think we can go more than a day without partaking the spiritual bread?” 


"Then Jesus declared; I am the bread of life, whoever comes to me shall not hunger and whoever shall believe in me shall not thirst"



John 6:35 ESV














You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Anita. I love your idea of a guest blogger. Praise the Lord for Godly friends and the varied gifts He gives us all.
    Well done, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete

We hope that you found this post helpful. If you have any questions or would like to leave a comment, please feel free....

SUBSCRIBE

Like us on Facebook

Godzgear Inspiration Delivered Personally into Your Inbox

View previous campaigns.